[Rubygems-developers] Specifying equivalent modules?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Apr 20 19:41:23 EDT 2007

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
 > So for every such case, we should join the project?

I think there are several scenarios, each project should find its own
balance.

(1) Both C and Java developers join the same project. The both parties
coordinate
their releases, but each party handles the mechanics of their own releases.

(2) The Java developers send their gem (and announcements, news
releases, changelogs,
etc) to the primary developer. In this case the primary developer does
the actual
release. More work for the primary developer, but also more control.

(3) The Java and C developer is the same guy who releases all platform
gems at the
same time.

(4) The Java code is released from a different RubyForge project, with
no interaction
with the primary developer (beyond version conformance). In this
scenario, I suspect
we will have to get help from the RubyForge folk to make sure that the
same base gem
with different platform can be released from different projects (but I don't
anticipate trouble there).

In the above, I generally phrased it with the C source as the primary
project and the
Java version being the derived version, but I can easily imagine
projects where the
roles are reversed, or even co-equal.

--
-- Jim Weirich      jim at weirichhouse.org     http://onestepback.org
-- In theory, practice and theory are the same.