[Rubygems-developers] Specifying equivalent modules?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Apr 19 12:17:15 EDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 20:43, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2007, at 22:01, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>>> I think it's more than just choosing the right platform...it's an
>>> issue that if every gem out there depends on "mongrel" there's not a
>>> thing we can do to force them to install and run with "jmongrel",
>>> even if
>>> the two are nearly identical.
>>
>> No, they'd install the java platformed mongrel, much like there's a
>> mswin and ruby platformed mysql gem.  Nothing changes in code
>> anywhere, people running jruby instead install java gems.
>
> Well, but that's the point...we have to have a java-platformed
> mongrel,
> which means that Zed, who 'owns' the "mongrel" gem name, would have to
> be responsible for publishing a Java platform gem.

So we're really just looking for a technical solution to a social
problem.

Has the author of the java mongrel port asked Zed to be a member of
the mongrel project so the port can be distributed from the same
project, and the code be kept in one place for maintainability?

Has Zed refused?

If both of those answers are yes, then *maybe* we should look into
writing some code.  (Really, some gentle social pressure should be
applied first, then, still, *maybe* we should look into writing some
code.)

Otherwise, no.