[Rubygems-developers] Userdir install and GEM_HOME when doing: gem update --system

Richard Michael rmichael-ruby at edgeofthenet.org
Wed Apr 18 19:28:02 EDT 2007

Hello list,

Where do I file bug reports and/or ask for support for rubygems?  I only
found this -developers list on rubyforge.  Is there a -users list

I have rubygems installed, as per the docs, in a user directory and
have my environment as:

"gem update --system" doesn't appear to honour GEM_HOME, and it wants to
install into /usr/bin/ (e.g. /usr/bin/gemwhich), as seen below.

What's more, "gem update" reports "Rubygems system software updated",
although it hasn't been, as it errored out during install.

Aside, what's the best way to fix this?  At the moment, I switch to the
downloaded rubygem update (e.g. GEM_HOME/gems/rubygems-update-0.9.2/),
then run the install sequence again:

  ruby setup.rb config --prefix=$GEM_HOME
  ruby setup.rb setup
  ruby setup.rb install

[testuser at hostname ~]$ gem update --system
Updating RubyGems...
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-0.9.2
Updating version of RubyGems to 0.9.2
Installing RubyGems 0.9.2
---> bin
<--- bin
---> lib
---> lib/rbconfig
<--- lib/rbconfig
---> lib/rubygems
<--- lib/rubygems
<--- lib
---> bin
<--- bin
---> lib
---> lib/rbconfig
<--- lib/rbconfig
---> lib/rubygems
<--- lib/rubygems
<--- lib
rm -f InstalledFiles
---> bin
mkdir -p /usr/bin/
install gemwhich /usr/bin/
setup.rb:515:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/bin/gemwhich
        from setup.rb:515:in `open'
        from setup.rb:515:in `install'
        from setup.rb:1200:in `install_files'
        from setup.rb:1199:in `each'