[Rubygems-developers] Building native gems for deployment

Graham Miller gmiller at marketcetera.com
Fri Apr 13 13:59:09 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought if anyone would know the
answer to this, you guys would...

We have a situation where we need to deploy gems that include native code
onto a machine that does not have gcc or make installed.  The specific
situation is that we are creating a VMWare appliance (
http://trac.marketcetera.org/trac.fcgi/wiki/Marketcetera/Appliance ) and we
are trying to avoid adding the many many megabytes of native development
tools.

In the past we have been able to install the gems on the appliance by taking
advantage of the fact that "gem" would proceed with installation of the gems
(in this case mongrel and fastthread) despite a failure in the native
compilation.  Then we just copied the native libraries to the appropriate
place from a development machine.  However it seems that the latest gem
release has fixed this, and native gem installations now fail if gcc or make
is not present.

So I guess my question would be: what is the best way to install a gem onto
a machine without having to do the native compilation step?

Thanks in advance for any help.

graham

--
Marketcetera Trading Platform