[Rubygems-developers] Fwd: rubygems user install of extensions

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 09:04:19 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Marcus Rueckert <darix at web.de> wrote:
> what error do you get?
> on my linux box i have:
> [[[
> CONFIG["INSTALL"] = "/usr/bin/install -c"
> ]]]
> which should work as non-root user too.

I've installed Ruby via Ports, and my relevant files have the following in

module Config
  CONFIG["INSTALL"] = '/usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel'
  CONFIG.each{|k,v| MAKEFILE_CONFIG[k] = v.dup}

This is where extconf.rb is getting the INSTALL line for the Makefile.  So,
is this a Ports problem then, and not directly related to rubygems?  Even
so, is there a way to override this variable in .gemrc, until the Port is

The error I'm getting is as follows:

gem i hpricot

make install
/usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel -m 0755 hpricot_scan.so
*** Error code 71

Stop in /usr/home/dna/.gems/gems/hpricot-0.4/ext/hpricot_scan.

make clean
Successfully installed hpricot-0.4

gem list | grep hpricot
hpricot (0.4)

That the hpricot gem was still installed, even though the lib couldn't be is
a separate problem and should be handled by rubygems, IMHO.

Thank you for your consideration.

- Dimitri