[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Sun Sep 24 13:46:31 EDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Chad Fowler wrote:

> Personally I'm of the opinion that the default should be that we
> maintain the current behavior.  Particularly with binary gems, we
> can't guarantee that the ruby in the path will work with the gem in
> question.  I just maintain separate hardcoded gem installations for
> the versions of Ruby I have installed.

If we keep the same usage model, I think I agree with Chad that
we keep the same behavior and add an option to use the
#!/usr/bin/env ruby shebang. But, I would like to propose another

The situation I have is a multi-OS gem repository with many users
able to install gems. If the 'env' shebang is an option, chances are
high that there will exist installs that are platform specific because
the installer forgot the 'env' shebang option.

It would be nice if there were a default setting for a particular gem
directory that could control the shebang. This will prevent forgetful
installers from installing gems that run on only one OS.

I haven't explored how to do this and would request someone more
familiar with the details of gems if this is currently an existing

Jim Freeze