[Rubygems-developers] Can't install fxruby via rubygems 0.9.0 on Windows XP

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sun Sep 24 09:43:06 EDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 7:53 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 08:24 -0500, Lyle Johnson wrote:
>> On 9/21/06, Tom Copeland <tom at infoether.com> wrote:
>>> Hm, maybe... I guess it depends on where the gem HTTP client
>>> expects to
>>> find those dashes.  Ah ha... now that I check the logs, here's
>>> what's
>>> being requested:
>>> GET /gems/fxruby-1.6.2-mswin32.gem
>>> That's why those 404 errors are popping up...
>> OK, so it is a naming convention thing. The Gem server apparently
>> inspected the Gem spec for that gem (in order to identify its version
>> number and platform) but didn't bother to remember its correct file
>> name. Oh well. Although I am of the opinion that this is a RubyGems
>> problem, I'll go ahead and rename one of the gems in this style and
>> see if that fixes the problem.
> Yup, I guess multiple dashes seem to confuse things, although Jim
> or one
> of the other Gem gurus would know for sure...

Yea, the name isn't stored in the file or used by the server.  It's
actually constructed programatically by the client and then the
client does a GET for that name.

Looking at your example reminded me that we built an attribute into
the gem spec for required ruby version, but we've never (AFAIK) done
anything with that attribute.  That might be something to do for an
upcoming release of RubyGems.