[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Fri Sep 22 17:16:23 EDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> Jim Freeze wrote:
>> of gems (multi OS env). Basically, this means that the path to
>> ruby is
>> not specified explicitly in the shebang, but is set to:
>>
>>   #!/usr/bin/env ruby
>
> So, the question is, how should this be handled?  If the original code
> passes switches, should we:
>
> (1) ignore them
> (2) fallback to the current style of shebang.
>
> Prehaps it would be better to keep the current default so that
> switches
> are preserved by default, and only use the env version if requested.

My motivation for ignoring them is because some implementations of
env do not support switches, particularly, linux. For example,

    #!/usr/bin/env ruby -w

on linux gives
   $ ./test.rb
   /usr/bin/env: ruby -w: No such file or directory

but works fine on sun and freebsd.

If this is the default, then I think it needs to be without switches.

What I would not like to do is introduce too many options. For example,
   1. full path or env path
   2. with switches or without switches.

Maybe we will need this, but it seems to be getting a little complex.

Jim Freeze

Jim Freeze