[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Yvon Thoraval yvon_thoraval at mac.com
Wed Sep 20 13:16:41 EDT 2006

Le 20 sept. 06 à 16:11, Jim Freeze a écrit :

> Do I make this the default?

in my opinion it MUST be the default because even on the same
platform (for ex over apple box) the path to ruby might defer from
one box to the other.

three possible case over Mac OS X :

standard one ruby is under /usr
darwinports one ruby is under /opt
fink install ruby is under /sw

and also may people (as me) does have more than only one ruby install
this is the case when you install under darwinport or fink, tou leave
the apple ruby untouched, then for those cases 2 valid ruby are

i've another ruby on my box this a ruby install within jruby and here
i'd like also have two GEM_HOME.

for the time being i switch GEM_HOME to JGEM_HOME when i use jruby
and back when using ruby.

then i do have three GEM_HOME :

export GEM_HOME=/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8   for darwinports install

export RGEM_HOME=/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 a "backup" of the previous

export JGEM_HOME=/Users/yvon/bin/JRuby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8  GEM_HOME
for jruby

then in a jruby script i do :

export GEM_HOME=$JGEM_HOME  to get gem install for jruby

and, before ending the script back to /opt :