[Rubygems-developers] Shell scripts into bindir

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 08:09:22 EDT 2006

That'd be the sexy windows specific support. The ruby/bin folder is in your
path, and xxx.cmd is an executable file in windows (using 'xxx'). It loads
up the other file via ruby.

On 10/27/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/27/06, Chad Fowler <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:

> > > facing

> > be
> > script
> > it
> > > uses a
> > link

> > "/usr/local/bin" but
> > > it

> > this
> > > topic.

> > Ruby
> > write
> > > >

> > >  Then how does the rails gem install the "rails" script in ruby/bin?
> > >

> > It's a Ruby program.
> >

> I'm a little confused then... on Windows after I do a "gem install rails"
> I get two new files in ruby/bin: "rails", which is a Ruby program, and "
> rails.cmd" which is a shell script.
>
> Curt

Dr Nic Williams
http://www.drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails blog
skype: nicwilliams
(m) +31 62 494 8552
(p) +61 7 3102 3237 (finds me anywhere in the world)
(f) +61 7 3305 7572 (sends fax to my email)