[Rubygems-developers] Shell scripts into bindir

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 03:32:15 EDT 2006

Rails does what Imobach doesn't want to do - create an executable in the
ruby bin folder. RubyGems will make the script platform-specific once its
loaded so it works on win32/unix etc.

Chad, is there away for a gem to execute a command like 'ln -s ....' once
the executable is installed, so that there is a soft link from Imobach's
/user/local/bin folder to the original executable?

Nic

On 10/27/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/06, Chad Fowler <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/26/06, Imobach González Sosa <imobachgs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to package a friend's applications with as a "gem" and I
> > facing
> > > a "little" problem that I don't know how to solve.
> > >
> > > The problem is that this application have a shell script that must be
> > > installed into "/usr/local/bin" directory. But if I include that
> > script
> > > into "executables", rubygems considers that it's a ruby script (so it
> > uses a
> > > wrapper). And if I don't include it into "executables", there's no
> > link
> > > in "/usr/local/bin" anymore.
> > >
> > > So, how can I specify that I wanna this script into "/usr/local/bin"
> > but it
> > > just a shell script and need no changes?
> > >
> > > I search in the manual but I was unable to found information about
> > this topic.
> > > Any idea?
> > >

> > You actually can't do what you want.  RubyGems is for installing Ruby
> > programs.  You can't use it to install shell scripts (unless you write
> > them in Ruby).
> >

> Then how does the rails gem install the "rails" script in ruby/bin?
>
> Curt

Dr Nic Williams
http://www.drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails blog
skype: nicwilliams
(m) +31 62 494 8552
(p) +61 7 3102 3237 (finds me anywhere in the world)
(f) +61 7 3305 7572 (sends fax to my email)