[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Sun Oct 15 18:23:30 EDT 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 4:36 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Jim Freeze wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>>> On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Jim Freeze wrote:
>>
>> I think the issue is when someone installs a gem and wants to run
>> a ruby executable from that gem under different versions of Ruby.
>> Hard pathing in the shebang will not work in this case. The only
>> alternative
>> is to use env.
>
> Granted, but I think this is the less-common scenario.

You might think so. But this is very common for a corp
environment. I have this deployed now for about 5000
people. And the last company I was at is doing the same.

I learned my lesson a while back that just because it is not
a scenario I am using, doesn't mean there are not a lot people
needing just such a solution. :)

>>> I'd rather have the default be the current behavior so things don't
>>> mysteriously fail when I upgrade a gem.
>>
>> I think that has already been stated. The default won't change,
>> that is why I suggested a couple of option flags.
>
> I must have I missed it, apologies.

No problem.

> I don't have problems with new flags to accommodate multiple versions/
> platforms.  The ones you proposed look fine to me.

Just to re-iterate the original proposed options:

--with-env
--with-env-no-switches

After some thought, I think the option names should include shebang.
So, trying to do that and-avoid-a-really-long-option-name-here-is-my-
new-proposals

--env-shebang
--env-shebang-no-switches

Is that better or worse?