[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Sun Oct 15 11:35:19 EDT 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Jim Freeze wrote:
>> Pathing on cronjobs isn't the problem of env here. The user
>> writing the cron job must make sure that the path to ruby, and env,
>> is available.
>
> Right now this isn't an issue.  I specify the path of the ruby file I
> want to run and it Just Works.  Using env will make it an issue.

I think the issue is when someone installs a gem and wants to run
a ruby executable from that gem under different versions of Ruby.
Hard pathing in the shebang will not work in this case. The only
alternative
is to use env.

Along with that decision, another problem arises. And that is with
options that authors add to the shebang. The problem here is that
not all OS's support options with an env shebang.

My opinion is that there are too many scenarios to cover here and
that the best solution is to provide options to gem that let people
control both the shebang path and the options to the shebang.

> I'd rather have the default be the current behavior so things don't
> mysteriously fail when I upgrade a gem.

I think that has already been stated. The default won't change,
that is why I suggested a couple of option flags.

Jim Freeze