[Rubygems-developers] Adjusting Shebang in gem files

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Fri Oct 13 16:32:48 EDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Jim Freeze wrote:
>
> But not from cron on FreeBSD since $PATH isn't set.

Pathing on cronjobs isn't the problem of env here. The user
writing the cron job must make sure that the path to ruby, and env,
is available.

> > If this is the default, then I think it needs to be without switches.
>
> I like my -w, please don't remove it.

I feel your pain. :)

There seem to be two usage scenarios.
1) Those needing /usr/bin/env when running multiple versions of ruby
     on the same OS.
2) Those needing /usr/bin/env when running ruby on multiple OS's.

Those under scenario #1 can have switches left on unless they are using Linux.
Those under scenario #2 must have switches off if Linux is in the mix of OS's.

What do you think about the following options:

 --with-env
 --with-env-no-switches

--
Jim Freeze