[Rubygems-developers] Ability to require jar-files

Ola Bini ola.bini at ki.se
Mon Oct 2 07:26:23 EDT 2006

We have been speaking earlier about adding some support for
JRuby-specific extensions to RubyGems. One small feature that would be
very welcome for us would be to make it possible to require jar-files in
the regular load-path. We have added support for JRuby such that executing
require 'bin_ext'
will search for bin_ext.rb and bin_ext.jar on the load path. If the same
would be possible with gems, it would mean we can package extensions and
people can use them the same way .so-extensions are used.

  Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.blogspot.com)
  JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor
  System Developer, Karolinska Institutet (http://www.ki.se)
  OLogix Consulting (http://www.ologix.com)