[Rubygems-developers] Enhancement Proposal: Would like be able to programatically specify platform

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 22:39:50 EST 2006

On 11/30/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2006, at 1242 , Chad Woolley wrote:
> > On 11/30/06, Chad Fowler <chad at chadfowler.com> wrote:
> > Do you mean that it would automatically install based on detecting the
> > platform, unless the user overrides it?  This seems slightly
> > dangerous, because there's the potential of having the wrong gem
> > installed.
> How so?  If they need the win32-mswin version then it is easier to
> detect the platform in code from Config::CONFIG than it is for the
> user to have to remember (or guess) if they are using ruby built with
> the mswin, cygwin or msys compiler (or whatever they are).  After
> all, this is what computers are for.
> > On a related note, I think that the supported platforms are currently
> > hardcoded as constants.  This may not scale in the future.  For
> > example, I can imagine different gems for Win XP vs. Vista, or 32 bit
> > vs 64 bit.  Should the supported platforms be hardcoded, or should the
> > gem owner be able to select any arbitrary string for the platform?
> New operating systems don't pop up every day.  I think we can release
> a new version of rubygems (or a separate platforms gem, like the
> sources gem) easily enough.
> Having written a program to go through the specifications of all the
> current gems, there's a lot of crap in there.  Allowing users to
> arbitrarily specify something will result in no less than 3 strings
> that mean the same thing with at least one string specifying two
> different things.

OK, this all makes sense.  Thanks for helping me think about the
problem in the correct way.

> A: Yes
> Q: Is top-posting bad?
>   — Derek Milhous Zumsteg

I acutally noticed you guys were bottom-posting, and still top-posted
anyway.  Sorry.

"Bad" is a subjective matter of preference.  I personally have no
problem following top-posted threads, and actually prefer them.  I
also use Gmail, which shows the first few words of the email body in
the preview pane, without having to open the email.  Top posting works
well with this feature.

If it really bothers anyone, I can bottom post.

-- Chad W