[Rubygems-developers] Enhancement Proposal: Would like be able to programatically specify platform

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Nov 30 13:34:21 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2006, at 0504 , Chad Fowler wrote:
> > On 11/28/06, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Anyway, it's almost releasable, except for one hitch:  I can't figure
> >> out how to programatically specify a platform for multiplatform/
> >> binary
> >> gems; I always get prompted with the list of platform/version
> >> choices.
> >
> > Hi.  You're right that this is a limitation.  Jim and I discussed it
> > at length at the recent Rails Edge conference.  We have a solution in
> > mind, but we haven't started hacking yet.
> Can you discuss details?  I'd like the tinderbox to not waste time
> and bandwidth attempting to run non-platform gems.  (And be capable
> of running platform gems.)
> --
> Eric Hodel - drbrain at segment7.net - http://blog.segment7.net

We talked about several possibilities, but I think what we settled on
is having RubyGems look for a list of matching platforms in best-match
order.  This would mean the client would have a built-in taxonomy of
sorts.  We would then allow you to override it via the command line or
the gemrc.

We created this project called tattle
(http://rubyforge.org/projects/tattle/) to start collecting info about
the install footprint of the Ruby community hoping it would help us
create this little taxonomy of platforms.  I think we'll be surprised
at how many different platform combos we see.