[Rubygems-developers] rubygems/open-uri.rb

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Nov 30 11:00:39 EST 2006

On 11/30/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> When using rubygems with a program that has (or will) be using the
> built-in open-uri, rubygems causes an infinite loop because
> Kernel#open is redefined twice.
>
> I'd like to prevent the namespace collision.
>
> Is rubygems/open-uri still necessary?  What was the issue with the
> rubygems open-uri?
>
> Can we just ditch open-uri and use net/http to keep rubygems working
> on older versions?
>
> --

There was an open-uri bug in an old Ruby distribution.  The svn log
seems to indicate that it was Ruby 1.8.1:

  r539 | chadfowler | 2004-09-15 22:31:11 -0500 (Wed, 15 Sep 2004) | 2 lines

  Added our own copy of open-uri.rb so we could get around bugs in the
old one until 1.8.2 of ruby   comes out

I think we're OK just removing it.  If someone's OK running ruby
1.8.1, they're probably OK with running an old RubyGems too :)  I've
removed it from svn.

Chad