[Rubygems-developers] HEADS-UP RemoteInstaller overhaul, check proxy workings

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Nov 20 00:34:54 EST 2006

I've pulled all the code for updating source indexes out of:

(the last two files disappearing altogether) and moved the
functionality into:

and made a bunch of other changes to support this work.  In all there
was about 600 lines of change to lib/ with rubygems dropping in size
by about 120 lines.

If any problems were to pop up, I expect them to be in specifying an
HTTP proxy on the command-line.  Gem::RemoteFetcher is no longer
source-specific, so it fetches its proxy information from ENV as
usual or from Gem.configuration.  I'm not sure if I'm adding the
command line proxy options to Gem.configuration correctly or not,

I've run gem update and gem install and gem list, and all seem to be
working OK.

Because of this work you can now easily do fun things like examine
the source index:

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems/source_info_cache'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> Gem::SourceInfoCache.search(/ZenTest/).map { |spec|
spec.full_name }
=> ["ZenTest-3.0.0", "ZenTest-3.1.0", "ZenTest-3.2.0",
"ZenTest-3.3.0", "ZenTest-3.4.0", "ZenTest-3.4.1", "ZenTest-3.4.2"]

or refresh the source index from its sources:

irb(main):009:0> Gem::SourceInfoCache.cache.refresh