[Rubygems-developers] Making non bindir files retain executable bit

Anthony Eden anthonyeden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 09:51:18 EDT 2006

Greetings all,

I am working on the Capgem project, an extension to Capistrano which builds
a Rails app into a Gem for distribution. I would like the files in
RAILS_ROOT/scripts/ to keep their executable bit set but I do not want them
to be considered executables in the way rubygems usually expects (i.e. I do
not want them added to the PATH, nor do I want to store them in the bindir).
Is there any way to accomplish this? Right now it seems that the executable
bit is lost when I extract the gem.

Another option I am considering is to do away with the RAILS_ROOT/bin
directory I am creating and using to store mongrel start and stop scripts
and instead make the scripts directory the bindir, however I would still
need a way to say only certain scripts should be added to the PATH (or
perhaps no scripts at all are added to the path even though they would
retain their executable bit).

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Anthony Eden