[Rubygems-developers] Release Notes for 0.9.0

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Mon Jun 26 23:38:50 EDT 2006

I'm putting together release notes for 0.9.0.  Look it over and feel
free to comment.

I noticed that the change log mentions changes to support authenticating
proxies.  Is there any info on that?  What kind of authenticating
proxies are supported?  Do you have to do anything special to use them.

Thanks for your time.

= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.9.0

Finally, the much anticipated RubyGems version 0.9.0 is now available.
This release includes a number of new features and bug fixes.  The
number one change is that we can now download the gem index
incrementally.  This will greatly speed up the gem command when only a
few gems are out of date.

Major Enhancments include:

* The gem index is now downloaded incrementally, only updating entries
   that are out of date.  If more than 50 entries are out of date, we
   revert back to a bulk download.
* Patch to allow RubyGems to work with authenticating proxies (from
   Daniel Roux).
* The gem unpack command can now accept a file path rather than just a
   install gem name.
* Both RI and RDOC documents are not generated by default. (and a
   gemri command is included to read gem RI docs[1]).
* Added dashes to gemspecs generated in Ruby 1.8.3.  This solves some
   compatibility issues.

Minor enhancements include:

* Verison 0.0.0 is now a valid gem version.
* Better detection of missing SSL functionality.
* SSL is not required if the security policy does not require
   signature checking.
* Rake built extensions are now supported (Tilman Saurbeck).
* Several autorequire bug fixes.
* Fixed several Upgrade => Update typos.
* --traceback is now an alias for --backtrace (I can never remember
   which one it is).
* SAFE=1 compatibility fixes.
* .rbw is now a supported suffix for RubyGem's custom require.
* Several Ruby 1.9 compatibility fixes (Eric Hodel).

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed bug where the wrong executables could be uninstalled (Eric
* Fixed bug where gem unpack occasionally unpacked the wrong gem.
* Fixed bug where a fatal error occured when permissions on .gemrc
   were too restrictive (reported by Luca Pireddu).
* Fixed prefix handling for native expressions (patch by Aaron Patterson).
* Added gemri for reading Gem RI documentation.

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
libraries.  RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby software
fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site.  Browse
the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>".  RubyGems takes care
of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but also
any gems needed by the software you selected.

== RubyGems Statistics

* About 780 different gems available
* Over 350 thousand downloads of the RubyGems software
* Over 4 million gem downloads

If you are interested in finding out when new gems are released, I
maintain an RSS feed at http://onestepback.org/gemwatch.rss.

== How can I get RubyGems?

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

   $ gem update --system   (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

   $ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
   $ update_rubygems              (... here too)

If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
3. INSTALL WITH:  ruby setup.rb all  (you may need admin/root privilege)

== What's Next

The next big thing on the plate is to integrate the local/remote gem
logic and make the whole thing more consistent.

== Thanks

Major contributors to this release include:

* Daniel Roux, Eric Hodel, Luca Pireddu, and Tilman Saurbeck.

Keep those gems coming!

-- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)