[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Thu Jun 15 22:42:37 EDT 2006

TRANS wrote:
>> The problem I see here is the plan to mix versioned and non-version
>> results from the same method when both are possible --maybe not for
>> Gems, but for a general solution it should. So what about two methods?
>> #datadir and #vdatadir. By default, i.e. no versions to speak of, they
>> would return the same thing. And with Gems, where there is _only_
>> versions, they would also return the same . But should it become
>> possible for Gems in the future, or for other's, they could be
>> differentiated.
> Anyone?

I'm having trouble understanding the need behind two methods that would
do the same thing.  Especially if you plan to make them do different
things in the future.  My fear is that users wouldn't know which one to
use and would use the wrong one, and then when the different behaviors
were introduced down the line, the code would break.

The current datadir method gives you access to the data directory
associated with your package, whether or not you are installed as a gem.

If you want access to the shared data region, regardless of gem
installation or not, then you still can access CONFIG['datadir'] as most
people have to do today.

At least that's how I'm seeing it at the moment.

-- Jim Weirich