[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 04:17:11 EDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
>    module Config
>      unless Config.respond_to?(:datadir)
>
>        # Return the path to the data directory associated with the given
>        # package name.  Normally this is just
>        # "#{Config::CONFIG['datadir']}/#{package_name}", but may be
>        # modified by packages like RubyGems to handle versioned data
>        # directories.
>        def Config.datadir(package_name)
>          File.join(CONFIG['datadir'], package_name)
>        end
>
>      end
>    end
>
> Notice that is carefully checks for an existing datadir method, so if it
> does become available natively in Ruby, this file will degrade gracefully.
>
> Thoughts?

The problem I see here is the plan to mix versioned and non-version
results from the same method when both are possible --maybe not for
Gems, but for a general solution it should. So what about two methods?
#datadir and #vdatadir. By default, i.e. no versions to speak of, they
would return the same thing. And with Gems, where there is _only_
versions, they would also return the same . But should it become
possible for Gems in the future, or for other's, they could be
differentiated.

T.