[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:34:03 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Mauricio Fernandez <mfp at acm.org> wrote:
> A few (very few?) people could miss it though. Imagine I create a ps-writer
> lib that can use generate/use type 3 fonts; I happen to know that pdf-writer
> ships with some ttf files, so I can try to find them at runtime to generate
> some fonts. In this case, pdf-writer is optional and even if it is available
> and I can use its data files, at no point do I have to require 'pdf-writer'.
> Just having Config.datadir("pdf-writer") return nil if pdf-writer is not
> installed would be enough in that case. But (b) must be solved if access to
> other package's datadir is allowed, of course.

If this works like I think it's going to, I'm probably going to split
my (base) datafiles into a separate .gem + installer. I *really* want
to have the ability to rename/move files during the packing of the gem
the way that I do from my Rakefile for .tar.gz files, though, because
I don't want to have to copy my files to a staging directory just to

As I have said before, I have package-versionless data and
package-versioned data. That's why I'd probably move the
package-versionless data to a different package entirely.

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca