[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

Mauricio Fernandez mfp at acm.org
Thu Jun 8 08:21:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:19:56AM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > > (b) Can the argument to Config.datadir be used to access data
> > >   from another package? At that point we can run into versioning
> > >   problems: given  Config.datadir("foo")...
> > However, I am inclined to make the rule that access to the package's
> > data area is off limits to code outside the package ... for all the
> > reasons you list.
> Also breaks the idea of encapsulation.  I think most, but cannot
> assert "all", gems result in some object coming into being.  I can't
> see from the online docs if a gem can use reflection to get its own
> version, and I not done enough dev to know.  If it could, (pretend
> this ia a patch):
> > The gem version should return File.join(gem_location, 'data', gem_name).
> above.  Then a gem could

I have a hard time understanding what you're describing, but the code is more
expressive than the text }:)

> Config.datadir(gemname){|path| File.join(path, Gem.version(gemname))
This is redundant (the path returned by Config.datadir would already be
specific to the package version). It'd also make the code dependent on
RubyGems, but I fail to see what we'd gain in exchange. Could you explain it
some more?