[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 08:19:04 EDT 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Jim Weirich wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Jim Weirich wrote:
> >> However, I am inclined to make the rule that access to the package's
> >> data area is off limits to code outside the package ... for all the
> >> reasons you list.
> >
> > Also breaks the idea of encapsulation.  I
> Well, yes.  That too. :)
> > think most, but cannot
> > assert "all", gems result in some object coming into being.  I can't
> > see from the online docs if a gem can use reflection to get its own
> > version, and I not done enough dev to know.  If it could, (pretend
> > this ia a patch):
> [... patch elided ...]
> Are you trying to implement gem support?  But that is already handled,
> just not in the snippet of code put in the mail message.

Oh, right.  Well, it might allow other things that have versioning
requirements to interact with the setup datadir.  (Which, too, maybe
be overengineering, YAGNI, etc.)
> Or perhaps I am misinterpreting your response.

No, it was my fault, holding 2 contradictory ideas {this was for other
packages than gems, the gems code was based on it} in my head at the
same time, and the second one being wrong. Oops. ["Open mouth, insert foot,
echo internationally" as they used say on fidonet :-)]
> -- Jim Weirich

        Thank you