[Rubygems-developers] Getting ready for release 0.9.0

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Thu Jun 8 08:06:24 EDT 2006

Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Jim Weirich wrote:
>> However, I am inclined to make the rule that access to the package's
>> data area is off limits to code outside the package ... for all the
>> reasons you list.
> Also breaks the idea of encapsulation.  I

Well, yes.  That too. :)

> think most, but cannot
> assert "all", gems result in some object coming into being.  I can't
> see from the online docs if a gem can use reflection to get its own
> version, and I not done enough dev to know.  If it could, (pretend
> this ia a patch):

[... patch elided ...]

Are you trying to implement gem support?  But that is already handled,
just not in the snippet of code put in the mail message.

The datadir() method in the mail message is the minimal code snippet to
get datadir functionality in a non-gem environment.  It is intended for
users to supply with any package that needs datadir support so that it
can function in a non-gem environment.

RubyGems supplies its own version of datadir that hooks the non-gem
version (just like it hooks the require command).

Or perhaps I am misinterpreting your response.

-- Jim Weirich