[Rubygems-developers] rdoc, ri, and gem integration?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 11:03:57 EDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2006, at 11:49 PM, John Gabriele wrote:
>
> > I just came across these posts:
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7423
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7426
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7479
> >
> > Not sure how relevant they are to this, but, what is the current plan
> > for rdoc/ri/gem integration?
>
> The next release of gems and ruby 1.8 will have integrated ri.

Sweet. Looking forward to it. :) Thanks.

> > It would seem to me that the rdoc command should have an "--ri-gems"
> > option such that I could cd over to my
> > /opt/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems directory and from there run
> > "rdoc --ri-gems" thus generating a pile of .yaml files in, maybe, an
> > /opt/ruby-1.8.4/share/ri/1.8/gems directory... Is that the way it's
> > going to work?
>
> Gems already has this feature.
>
> See gem help rdoc.

Maybe you're referring to the CVS HEAD version here? I haven't tried
it. I'm using the 0.8.11 release, and tried "gem rdoc --all". Although
that does generate html docs in the
lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/gem_name/rdoc directories, I don't see any yaml
files anywhere.

The only gems I've currently got installed are BlueCloth, RedCloth,
and rake. Maybe some gems will emit ri docs while others will not? I
didn't see anything in the spec
(http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/20) about that though.