[Rubygems-developers] rdoc, ri, and gem integration?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 16:02:32 EDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> John Gabriele wrote:
> > I just came across these posts:
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7423
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7426
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7479
> >
> > Not sure how relevant they are to this, but, what is the current plan
> > for rdoc/ri/gem integration?
> >
> > It would seem to me that the rdoc command should have an "--ri-gems"
> > option such that I could cd over to my
> > /opt/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems directory and from there run
> > "rdoc --ri-gems" thus generating a pile of .yaml files in, maybe, an
> > /opt/ruby-1.8.4/share/ri/1.8/gems directory... Is that the way it's
> > going to work?
> Currently, the gem command (in CVS Head) will generate the RI docs
> automatically whenever it generates the RDoc data.

Where does this cvs version of gem put the ri docs (yaml files) that
it generates?

> The install and
> update commands supports both --rdoc and --ri switches.

Just curious, is it the default behaviour to generate and install both
the rdoc->html and rdoc->yaml (ri) docs when you install a gem? If so,
then what's the point of those --rdoc and --ri switches?

>  The rdoc
> command can also generate rdoc and ri docs at any time for any installed
> command.

Not sure what you mean by "installed command", but...

I see that rdoc can make ri docs for the core/std modules
(/opt/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/1.8), and using the "--ri-system" option it
places them into /opt/ruby-1.8.4/share/ri/1.8/system.

And that rdoc can make ri docs for site modules
(/opt/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8), and using the "--ri-site"
option it places them into /opt/ruby-1.8.4/share/ri/1.8/site.

And that rdoc ran make ri docs for any of my random oddball modules,
and using the "--ri" option it places them into my own ~/.rdoc
directory (though that's not working for me at the moment),

But rdoc doesn't seem to have an option for use when generating ri
docs for gems. Or does it?

How do most folks currently go about having ri docs for installed gems?

> Does this help?

Yes, but I'm still hoping to see the rest of the big picture. In fact,
I just put together a Ruby-wiki page on it: RiRDocAndGems. Thanks for
the reply!