[Rubygems-developers] rdoc, ri, and gem integration?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Jun 3 15:01:08 EDT 2006

John Gabriele wrote:
> I just came across these posts:
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7423
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7426
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/7479
>
> Not sure how relevant they are to this, but, what is the current plan
> for rdoc/ri/gem integration?
>
> It would seem to me that the rdoc command should have an "--ri-gems"
> option such that I could cd over to my
> /opt/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems directory and from there run
> "rdoc --ri-gems" thus generating a pile of .yaml files in, maybe, an
> /opt/ruby-1.8.4/share/ri/1.8/gems directory... Is that the way it's
> going to work?

Currently, the gem command (in CVS Head) will generate the RI docs
automatically whenever it generates the RDoc data.  The install and
update commands supports both --rdoc and --ri switches.  The rdoc
command can also generate rdoc and ri docs at any time for any installed
command.

Does this help?

-- Jim Weirich