[Rubygems-developers] Fwd: Kernel::require

Judson Lester judson-rubygems at redfivellc.com
Thu Jul 20 16:14:42 EDT 2006

Pardon me if this is uninformed, but I haven't been able to find the
answer anywhere.

Is there a reason that custom_require doesn't call module_function
:require on Kernel?  As a result, once rubygems is loaded

require 'a-library'

is different from

Kernel.require 'a-library'

Notably because the Kernel.require form ignores gems.

A specific consequence is that in Needle, Needle::Registry#require

'service-library', ServiceModule fails if the service-library is a gem.
Which is a shame, since DI service libraries and rubygem package
management seem like a peanut butter and jelly combination.

Judson