[Rubygems-developers] balloon needs...
why the lucky stiff
rubygems-dev at whytheluckystiff.net
Sat Jul 8 22:12:38 EDT 2006
So, we didn't get much of a chance to talk about RubyGems at RailsConf, which makes
me oft dismayed. I've done a bit of hacking which I think would benefit
RubyGems. Most of it can be seen in this script:
I know you're all extreeeeemely busy, so I'll keep this pointed. Are you
intrested in any of these changes? If so, I'm willing to check these in myself.
Or formulate a patch, if that's what you'd rather.
(Really, I'd also like to start conquering some of Mauricio's list.)
* rubygems/open-uri conflicts with open-uri. i'd like to fix.
* ExtExtConfBuilder would probably be better off overriding INSTALL,
INSTALL_PROG, and INSTALL_DATA to use `ruby -run -e install` in situations
where the user is installing within their home directory. otherwise,
extensions fail to install because `install` tries to chmod/chgrp to root.
* would it be okay to flesh out the `loaded_specs` API so everyone can read
from it? 50% of the stuff I work on has this is in it:
class << Gem; attr_accessor :loaded_specs end
* After calling RemoteInstaller#install, I clear the source_index in order for
it pick up the change. I use Gem.use_paths again to do this. Is this
(balloon.rb: 78-80, 140)
* It would be nice if there were a blessed way to unload RubyGems, for libraries
which happen to run under RUBYOPT="-rubygems".
Beyond that, if I'm wrong about any of this (or being too hackywise,) please
correct me. Ultimately, I just want to be able to manage Gem repositories aside
from the formally installed one. (~/.balloon in this case.)
V. good, sweet amigos,
More information about the Rubygems-developers