[Rubygems-developers] Understanding new RubyGem 0.9 output

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Jul 4 05:49:24 EDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Wes Gamble wrote:

> master "overall table of contents" (if I understand correctly).  But
> none of those xxx items that are "out of date" may be gems that the user
> has installed.

Actually, they are not really "out of date" -- they are probably
perfectly useful.  Maybe "%d new items available"  might be less
like a warning.

<wafer-thin-mint>Should rubygems ever support warnings for gems that
really ought to be updated for security reasons?  Probably something
for another thread, if at all.</wafer-thin-mint>
> I would also suggest that it be made clear that it's the table of
> contents that is being synchronized, not the gems themselves.
> "Synchronizing repository" is too generic a term in my view.

"Synchronizing index: %d new items available"

Having the number there tells people that the repository isn't stale,
dead, etc.