[Rubygems-developers] Understanding new RubyGem 0.9 output

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 15:29:58 EDT 2006

On 7/3/06, Wes Gamble <weyus at att.net> wrote:
> Thanks.  But the bottom line is - it's giving me information about the
> repository _in general_, not information that pertains to _my_
> collection of gems.

Ummm ....  Yes.

[...] I'm not sure I need to see detailed internal
> synchronization messages for the "gem" application.

The synchronization process takes time.  One of of the problems with the
0.8.x RubyGems series was that the synchronization could take a LONG time
without any feedback on progress.  The feedback provided by 0.9.0 is good,
but I agree that the message needs tweeking.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of:

   Synchronizing repository: xxx items out of date

That avoids the word "gem" so there won't be any confusion there.  It also
make it clear this action is related to the repository.

Good feedback.  Thanks.