[Rubygems-developers] Understanding new RubyGem 0.9 output

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 14:14:55 EDT 2006

On 7/3/06, Wes Gamble <weyus at att.net> wrote:
> Mauricio,
>
> Can you explain this more?  Does this mean that there are 21 gems
> available on RubyForge that I am simply not using?
>
> Why do I care about gems that I'm not using?

The RubyForge gem repository gets updated regularly with new and updated gems.

When you run the gem command -- before doing anything else -- it has
to make sure it's got a current list of all available gems. With
previous versions of RubyGems (< 0.9.0), the gem command would have to
download the entire current list of gems (for a given repository -- by
default just the RubyForge one) whenever it noticed it was out of
date.

The current (0.9.0) gem command downloads this list incrementally.
When it tells you that there are 21 gems available, I think it's
partly supposed be a reassuring note to let you know that the
repository has been significantly updated since the last time you
checked. :)

---John