[Rubygems-developers] Testing for Gems 0.9.0 Beta

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Feb 24 13:43:55 EST 2006

Hi Tom,

I wanted to run some ideas by you.  One of the big changes scheduled for
RubyGems 0.9.0 is how the gem command downloads the gem index from
RubyForge.  Currently, gem grabs the entire wad of gem specs if it
detects that the size of the index file has changed.  The new version
will incrementally download only those gems that have been updated since
the last download.  Hopefully this will cut down download bandwidth a
bit and speed up the end user experience.

However, in order to support incremental index downloads, the index
files for a gem repository need to be enhanced.  I've been running with
an enhanced index on my beta gem site (http://onestepback.org/betagems)
for some time.  The new index format is backwards compatible with the
old software, so that people using older gem commands will still
continue to work.

What I would like to do in the near future is give you the new indexing
software to run on RubyForge.  After we verify that everything still
works for the current gems, I will get a limited number of people to try
out the beta gems with incremental downloading and begin to see how that
works on a large site like RubyForge.  Once everything looks OK, we can
proceed with a RubyGems release.

I think the above approach will get everything in place with the minimum
disruption to the gem users.  I don't know how this will play with your
mirror sites however.

What do you think?  Any feedback?

(Note:  Copied to the RubyGems-dev mailing list)

-- Jim Weirich       jweirich at one.net      http://onestepback.org