[Rubygems-developers] Simple tool to generate rpm spec files from gems

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 19:29:26 EST 2006

On 06/02/06, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ata minimum, the generated spec files are a good starting point for
> simple packaging of RubyGems, even though they can't address some of the
> harder issues around gem/rpm interoperability such as the lack of LSB
> compliance of gems. I did manage though to package rails as rpm's with
> very little effort. (see http://people.redhat.com/dlutter/yum/)

Neat tool. However, I consider the fact that gems don't follow LSB a good thing.

I don't use Linux. I know some people do, but I don't. I won't even
when I buy myself a new laptop this year. I'll be using either Solaris
(on a desktop box) or Mac OS X or Windows.

Ruby isn't just a Linux application, and a packaging solution for Ruby
shouldn't be constrained by the provincial view of a single operating
system.

-austin
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca