[Rubygems-developers] can 2 Gem directories co-exist?

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Feb 6 05:35:50 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, David Glasser wrote:

> On 2/3/06, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I would like to see something like:

        [...]
> >   - GEM_PATH (where gems can be found):
> >      - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
> >   - REMOTE SOURCES:
> >      - http://gems.rubyforge.org
>
> This feels somewhat ambiguous to me.  How about losing the passive voice:

I generally agree about losing the passive voice.  Native speakers of
English find passive voice more difficult than active, and Ruby is used
worldwide...

        [...]
> It's also possible that, if we're guaranteeing that GEM_HOME will be
> an element of GEM_PATH, it should look something more like
>
>  - GEM_PATH (where we look for gems):
>     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>     - /home/my/gems (GEM_HOME, where we install new gems)

Looks good, but I'd still like to be clear, somehow, that these
are available as environment variables, rather than Ruby constants
which would signify having to hack the source.  I think the most
concise cross platform way to do that is

   - ENV["GEM_PATH"] (where we look for gems):
      - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
      - /home/my/gems (ENV["GEM_HOME"], where we install new gems)

Hopefully someome can better that.

        Hugh