[Rubygems-developers] can 2 Gem directories co-exist?

David Glasser glasser at mit.edu
Fri Feb 3 16:33:24 EST 2006

On 2/3/06, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I would like to see something like:
>   - VERSION: (
>   - GEM_HOME (where gems are installed)
>     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>   - GEM_PATH (where gems can be found):
>      - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>      - http://gems.rubyforge.org

This feels somewhat ambiguous to me.  How about losing the passive voice:

 - GEM_HOME (where the 'gem' program installs gems)
   - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
 - GEM_PATH (where rubygems looks for gems):
    - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

It's possible that "the gem program" and "rubygems" are the wrong
subjects for these sentences, but I think moving towards active voice
will help clarify here.

It's also possible that, if we're guaranteeing that GEM_HOME will be
an element of GEM_PATH, it should look something more like

 - GEM_PATH (where we look for gems):
    - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - /home/my/gems (GEM_HOME, where we install new gems)

or something

David Glasser | glasser at mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/