[Rubygems-developers] can 2 Gem directories co-exist?

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Fri Feb 3 13:41:40 EST 2006

On 2/3/06, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Use GEM_PATH, it should be setup just like a PATH environment
> variable, except that it references repositories.
>
> (I thought this was documented somewhere, but I can't lay my finger on
> it at the moment. Need to put this on the todo list).

I don't think we are on the same pageyet.
GEM_PATH works, but I can't get it to work for 2 gem repositories.

GEM_PATH = /my_gems
gem xyz installed in ruby_install_dir/lib/ruby/gems
Then,
  require 'rubygems'
  require 'xyz'
does not find xyz.

Also, changing GEM_PATH to /my_gems:/ruby_install/lib/ruby/gems
does not work either.

Is this more clear or am I not understanding something?

--
Jim Freeze