[Rubygems-developers] Personal repos, for development and testing?

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 14:05:52 EST 2006

At present, Rubygems has the concept of a local repository,
the concept of a remote repository which defaults to the central
Rubygems repository, and that is it.  I've just downloaded a package
(YAX, but the details don't matter) and because it used Rubygems it
was expecting me to do the full install as root.  If there were a
way to have secondary repositories, or private ones, then I could
install the gem within my home directory, where if it were
damaged/evil it would do less damage.

Rubygems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.8.11 (0.8.11)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

This environment isn't actually held in my environment variables, is
it?.  Maybe if it were I could set it temporarily to something else?
There seem to be no gem commands to set it for me.

Has anyone given these matters more thought recently?