[Rubygems-developers] Adding Tasks to Rake from a Gem?

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:27:23 EST 2006

Two options:

i) In your Rakefile, you need to load the target rake files.
ii) In a Rails app, you could use gemsonrails project to link/freeze the gem
into your app, and it will automatically find your Rakefiles. (
https://rubyforge.org/projects/gemsonrails/)

Nic

On 12/20/06, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to add tasks to Rake at runtime from a Gem? Right now I
> can include the following in Ruby code to get make the library
> available:
>
> require_gem 'activewarehouse'
> require 'active_warehouse'
>
> However this will not expose my custom tasks to Rake (they are
> currently defined in tasks/*.rake). Any thoughts on how I can cleanly
> get my Rake tasks added on the fly? I am currently using Rake 0.7.1.
> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> V/r
> Anthony
>
> --
> Cell: 808 782-5046
> Current Location: Melbourne, FL

Dr Nic Williams
http://www.drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails blog
skype: nicwilliams
(m) +31 62 494 8552
(p) +61 7 3102 3237 (finds me anywhere in the world)
(f) +61 7 3305 7572 (sends fax to my email)