[Rubygems-developers] Bad extconf.rb (Was: Trackker)

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Dec 19 02:13:17 EST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 14:18, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2006, at 08:54, Chad Fowler wrote:
>> Eric, are you aware of fixing
>> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
>> func=detail&aid=982&group_id=126&atid=575.
>>  It looks like you did.  I added a test i expected to fail and it
>> passed.  Looks like svn has the desired behavior now.
>
> I don't remember fixing it.  If it is fixed go ahead and close the
> bug.

Actually, this isn't our bug.

Gem authors like to write broken extconf.rbs where they don't check
the output of #have_library or #have_header (or whatever the header
one is) so they'll build a Makefile when they shouldn't.

There's really nothing we can do about this.

If the C code is bad or the extconf.rb doesn't write a Makefile then
things are good.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!