[Rubygems-developers] Enhancement Proposal: Would like be able to programatically specify platform

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 11:54:16 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:> Can you discuss
details?  I'd like the tinderbox to not waste time

> and bandwidth attempting to run non-platform gems.  (And be capable
> of running platform gems.)

One of the things we will do is make the Ruby platform be for pure ruby gems
only.  Things that have a C extension will have a platform name of "C" or
"EXT" (or something like that).  This allows us to not install gems
requiring a compile environment on computers that can't compile (e.g. most
non-developer windows machines).

Other than that, we will try to use the most appropriate hardware platform
we can find that matches. We don't at the moment know exactly how to
determine the "best" platform match, thus the reason for tattle which will
hopefully report one what's being used today.