[Rubygems-developers] Ruby on Rails trouble

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Thu Aug 24 07:24:47 EDT 2006

Marko Viitanen wrote:
> I decided to try Ruby and it has not been easy or simple. I am having
> trouble with rubygems, installing rails.
> After downloading and installing ruby, I downloaded rubygems-0.9.0.zip
> <http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/11290/rubygems-0.9.0.zip> from
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126. Unzipped it and ran
> ruby setup.rb

You didn't mention your platform, but judging from the c: in the error
message you gave, it looks like a windows install.  What version of Ruby
are you using?  If you used the one-click installer for windows
(recommended), then RubyGems comes pre-installed with that and you
shouldn't have to install it separately.

> then I tried
> gem install rails --include-dependencies
> It just hangs

Hmmm ... Are you behind a firewall that requires you to use a proxy?  If
so, you need to set the http_proxy environment variable to the proper
value so the RubyGems will go to the proxy rather than direct to the gem
download site.  If you are behind an authenticating proxy, then things
get a bit trickier.

> I added the --debug flag, and saw that it was trying to use .gemsrc. now
> where was that in the "getting started" instructions?

.gemsrc is just a configuration file that is used if found, otherwise
ignored.  Its absence shouldn't cause any trouble.

> I made on up following a sample I found online.
> Still didn't work. This time it is complaining about another file:
> Exception `LoadError' at
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such
> file to load -- sources

This means your RubyGems installation is probably garbled.  The sources
gem is packaged with RubyGems and its absence is not good.  I recommend
starting over with the one-click installer.

-- Jim Weirich