[Rubygems-developers] replicating gem installs

Anthony Eden anthonyeden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 09:33:48 EDT 2006

Just out of curiosity, why not use /usr/bin/env ruby or just put a symbolic
link on different machines. If they are all variations of unix either of
these approaches should work, no?

Now, if you throw Windows into the mix it is a bit more of a pain, but
doesn't Gems handle the windows/unix path variations already?

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

On 8/23/06, Jim Freeze <rubygems at freeze.org> wrote:

> Hi
> I have the same need at work, but with the added requirement that the
> machines
> are on different platforms (Linux, Sun and HP).
>
> We use synchronicity to deploy files throughout the company. Synchronicity
> is
> a version management system and replicator combined. I started out using
> this
> method, but the pain is in managment of the gems and all their files which
> can
> be somewhat scattered.
>
> We haven't had a problem (that I know of) with gems putting files in
> /usr/local since
> we install with the '-i' flag, but gems have the major downfall of putting
> explicit path
> to ruby on the shebang line. This means I have to edit every gem that gets
> installed
> that has an executable.
>
> I am currently tinkering with the idea that instead of having
> Synchronicity manage
> the gems, let rubygems manage the gems. So my method would entail
> maintaining
> a list of gems and their versions. Then each location would install gems
> from the list
> and, if needed, installed on multiple platforms. This way, each site can
> choose where
> to put all these third party gems and I don't have to manage the headache
> of keeping
> the revision control system cleaned up.
>
> The only inhibitor to launching this scheme is the machine specific
> shebang path.
> I guess I need to just find the time and submit a patch.
>
> Jim
>
> On Aug 21, 2006, at 11:07 PM, hbeaumont hbeaumont wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Please point me to the correct list if this is off-topic.
>
> I need to replicate my installed gems across several machines. I am
> trying to find the best way to do this.
>
> I had considered rsyncing /usr/local/lib/ruby
>
> but many gems also install things into /usr/local/bin/ etc.
>
> Is there a good way to do this?
>
> I had considered a simple scripts of each install:
>
> /bin/bash
>
> gem install foo
> gem install bar
>
> etc.
>
> but I really need something that will let me know 100% for sure that
> everything is the same.
>
> Is there an easy way to have a gem report what files it installed?
>
> I suppose in the end I could open each gem setup files and find all
> the install lines.
>
> I just wanted to check the list first to see if there is a better or
> standard way to do this.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jim Freeze

Camber Corporation Asia-Pacific Office