[Rubygems-developers] replicating gem installs

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Wed Aug 23 09:18:47 EDT 2006

Hi

I have the same need at work, but with the added requirement that the
machines
are on different platforms (Linux, Sun and HP).

We use synchronicity to deploy files throughout the company.
Synchronicity is
a version management system and replicator combined. I started out
using this
method, but the pain is in managment of the gems and all their files
which can
be somewhat scattered.

We haven't had a problem (that I know of) with gems putting files in /
usr/local since
we install with the '-i' flag, but gems have the major downfall of
putting explicit path
to ruby on the shebang line. This means I have to edit every gem that
gets installed
that has an executable.

I am currently tinkering with the idea that instead of having
Synchronicity manage
the gems, let rubygems manage the gems. So my method would entail
maintaining
a list of gems and their versions. Then each location would install
gems from the list
and, if needed, installed on multiple platforms. This way, each site
can choose where
to put all these third party gems and I don't have to manage the
headache of keeping
the revision control system cleaned up.

The only inhibitor to launching this scheme is the machine specific
shebang path.
I guess I need to just find the time and submit a patch.

Jim

On Aug 21, 2006, at 11:07 PM, hbeaumont hbeaumont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please point me to the correct list if this is off-topic.
>
> I need to replicate my installed gems across several machines. I am
> trying to find the best way to do this.
>
> I had considered rsyncing /usr/local/lib/ruby
>
> but many gems also install things into /usr/local/bin/ etc.
>
> Is there a good way to do this?
>
> I had considered a simple scripts of each install:
>
> /bin/bash
>
> gem install foo
> gem install bar
>
> etc.
>
> but I really need something that will let me know 100% for sure that
> everything is the same.
>
> Is there an easy way to have a gem report what files it installed?
>
> I suppose in the end I could open each gem setup files and find all
> the install lines.
>
> I just wanted to check the list first to see if there is a better or
> standard way to do this.
>
> Thanks.

Jim Freeze