[Rubygems-developers] The next step toward 0.9.0

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Apr 11 14:47:39 EDT 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> (6) What about an uninstall policy?  I am suggesting by default, gems
> will not remove data from the data directory.  But, I'm willing to
> entertain an option on the uninstall command that would also uninstall
> the data.  Comments?

FreeBSD hangs onto MD5 checksums for all port/package installed files
and only removes files where the MD5 checksum matches.

Unfortunately this isn't a complete solution, if you install two
copies of the same package and the files didn't change extra stuff
can get deleted...

Gems could, check if the installed file is in more than one manifest.