[Rubygems-developers] The next step toward 0.9.0

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Apr 11 02:24:59 EDT 2006

TRANS wrote:
> While I think the proposal is probably the right one, just to draw
> soem contrast the other option is to keep the datadir in the gem and
> provide access to it, eg.
>   Gem.datadir( 'mygemsname' )

The disadvantage of this approach is that it then requires the software
to be installed as a gem to run.  If the Config::CONFIG['datadir'] value
is used, you don't have any dependencies on gems.

Also, anything in the gem directory must also be considered read-only by
the application (just like datadir).