[Rubygems-developers] The next step toward 0.9.0

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:50:33 EDT 2006

On 4/10/06, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
[snip proposal]
Jim, I think I can live with this *if* RubyGems starts using its tarcapabilities a little smarter than it currently does and allows me tospecify some of this in the gemspec.
If you look at the tarring that I do in the PDF::Writer Rakefile(actually, all of my rakefiles now), I *dynamically* determine theappropriate directory and set things appropriately in my .tar.gz files.What I want here is to have my images/ and data/ directories where theybelong in my SCM tree but dynamically name them to data/gem-1.3/images/and data/gem-1.3/data/ in the .gem file. Maybe:
  spec.datadirs = %w(images data)  spec.version_datadir = true
Alternatively, allow me to provide a proc -- similar to what you see inmy PDF::Writer Rakefile -- that will do all sorts of renaming from theperspective of the gem directory on down. I would actually prefer both;this way I could version some data without versioning other data.Alternatively:
  spec.datadirs = %w(images)  spec.versioned_datadirs = %w(data)
To make this work without this sort of transparent transformation, I'dhave to copy my files to a staging directory, move the directoriesaround, and then gem package. I would no longer be able to cleanly buildall of my packages from a single source and my Rakefile would double insize pretty quickly.
I think that having spec.datadirs and spec.versioned_datadirs makes itpretty easy to deal with from all perspectives.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca